Love, Laughs, Tickles, Teases. Frogs & Jelly Beans

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Here She Comes


I am standing upon the seashore.
A ship at my side spreads her white sails to the
morning breeze and starts for the blue ocean.
She is an object of beauty and strength.
I Stand and watch her until at length she hangs like a speck of
white cloud just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other.
Then someone at my side says: "There, she is gone!"
"Gone where?"
Gone from my sight. That is all.
She is just as large in mast and hull and spar
as she was when she left my side and she is just as able
to bear her load of living freight to her destined port.
Her diminished size is in me, not her.
And just at that moment when someone says:
"There, she is gone!" there are other eyes
watching her coming,
and other voices ready to take up the glad shout:
"Here she comes!"
And that is dying. ~Henry Van Dyke


I found this poem on another blog that I read. It was so very moving to me. I've been having an hard time the last week or so. It's like I've finally awoken to an entirely different world. The littlest things will have me tearing up.....and not just because I just got my eyes tested six ways from Sunday including dialation. I love the knowledge the gospel brings into my life and all the answers to questions that we have about what happens after someone dies. I feel like I never really knew it til now. All the stuff that we are taught in church some how seems so much more real now than it ever did seven or eight months ago. I've been missing him more and more lately not less. Maybe this is also part of God's plan, strength to deal with all those details then He slows things down until you really have accepted the loss before He helps you to grieve.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is just so strange...yesterday (Sunday) I was finishing up a book I've been reading (I've been into autobiographies lately), the book was about the life of Diana Von Welanetz Wentworth and is called, "Send Me Someone". She had that same poem in her book it is titled, "Two Views of the Same Ship" and is written just a bit different as it is written as WE rather than I. I thought of you as I read it and was going to email it to you today, but first read your blog, and low and behold there was the poem. Her was credited as an adaption from Jewish Folklore. Kind of strange huh. Love Ya! Jackie