Love, Laughs, Tickles, Teases. Frogs & Jelly Beans

Friday, July 13, 2007

Summer

I got this from Little Sis last night.

The thermometer on our back porch reads one hundred and five degrees. My night gown is hot and sticky. The air conditioner is humming, yet I don't feel it's coolness in the stuffy confines of my bedroom. My denim curtains are drawn closed to block out the blazing rays of evening sunshine. I am supposed to be asleep.



I can not sleep, because of my sweaty bangs clinging to my face. I daydream of winter and snow and frost on my window. I sing a little bit of Jingle Bells hoping that will help my imagination transport me to a cooler climate I pray for a breeze or a nice summer rain. And then I hear it...



The sweet calliope chimes of my Hero, my savior from the heat. Faintly at first but growing stronger and stronger. I quickly sneak to my window and peer out, looking for a glimpse of the glorious white truck covered with stickers of summer time treats. He is coming; I hear his music fill the air, beckoning children like a pied piper.



My mom calls out for me to partake of this sweet evening treat. I leap to my feet and chase the van down the street yelling loudly and begging for him to stop. With a smile he hands me a tall, sticky, cold watermelon Popsicle. I fork over my $1.50.



As I sit in the grass licking the tasty treat in my nightgown, I begin to cool off and relax. I begin to enjoy the heat of summer. I take a large bite and feel the freeze move through my body, from the tip of my tongue to the top of my head. It is BRAINFREEZE and it hurts I love it. I thank my knight in the white van, my musical Hero from the hellish heat.



Thank you Mr. Ice Cream Man, Thank You

No comments: